Outreach Technical Support Assistant
The Riverdale-Yonkers Society for Ethical Culture (rysec.org) is looking for the right person to support our technical outreach efforts during the pandemic closures (likely at least until Spring 2021). Please read through the description including necessary information to submit in order to apply.
Hours: 10-15 hours per week paid at $20/hour. Hours include nearly every Sunday 10 a.m – 1:30 p.m. Eastern Time U.S.
Duration: until the Society meets again in person (sometime in 2021). At that time we will design the work differently and the incumbent may be able to apply, depending on the new definition and their skills. Can start as soon as we are able to make a decision.
Location: During the pandemic, while our building is closed and meetings are all online, the support assistant will work remotely, as long as hours can be coordinated with those in Riverdale, the Bronx, New York. The person will be paid from New York according to New York laws.
Reports to the Society’s Clergy Leader, Jone Johnson Lewis
Areas of Responsibility:
Support the Society’s outreach through managing effective Sunday meetings on Zoom and through posting Society events on our social media platforms.
- Technical support (hosting) Sunday meetings and occasional other meetings
- Outreach: posting Society events to our social media platforms and the Society’s website calendar
- Outreach: technical review and assistance with two weekly blast emails
- Helpful: technical support to volunteers, office manager, and Leader in using and maintaining our applications used for meetings and outreach.
Skills and abilities needed:
- Appropriate technical skills (see below).
- Excellent social interaction skills, including communicating with clarity, empathy and compassion. Engage responsibly in all interactions.
- Excellent spelling and grammar in all published materials
- Timeliness in meeting deadlines
- Ability to interact well with people with Ethical Culture values and practices, and to reflect those values and practices in any work produced
- Hosting the Sunday meeting includes being present online for testing by 10:15 a.m., helping secure the meeting from disruption, admit people from the waiting room, run any necessary media as needed for that Sunday, follow a script and change spotlights and mute/unmute participants, take and record attendance in our database, give some technical assistance to participants who are having problems, create and manage breakout rooms. After the meeting, edit the recording most weeks to post the talk/message on the Society’s Facebook and YouTube accounts and website. Work with the Society’s Leader during the week to plan what is needed for the Sunday meeting and, where needed, prepare graphics and slides.
- For Society events, post attractive, timely, and effective announcements on Facebook, possibly elsewhere, with consultation by the Society’s Leader. Keep and report social media statistics monthly.
- The weekly blast emails (sent Monday and Friday) are prepared by the office, and may need touching up technically (graphics added from website, etc.), and occasionally have information added under direction of the Leader.
- The candidate will supply their own computer (laptop or desktop) and accessories with the capacity to carry out the duties. Use of a smartphone or tablet is helpful.
- Must be familiar with and skilled in: Zoom, OBS, WordPress, Microsoft Office365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneDrive), Facebook Pages and Messaging, Dropbox, Google Drive. (You will have access to Microsoft Office365 apps through our office account.)
- Able to edit images, videos, sound.
- Must have access to email. The team also uses Trello for project communication.
- Will train to use Elvanto for attendance and other reporting if not familiar with it.
- Understand what images, texts, and videos are acceptable to use and how, according to copyright law.
Interviews will be conducted via Zoom.
To apply, submit the following (ALL are necessary, applications missing any pieces may be ignored):
- Resume with relevant work experience and education/training, residence address, and a telephone number and email address where you can be reached.
- Contact information for 3 references, at least 2 of which are familiar with your technical work, and whom you have notified that they may communicate freely with us.
- Two or three samples of work with images and one or two of work with video (can be links to publicly-available material).
- A cover letter. Describe briefly your experience with Zoom, OBS, PowerPoint, and posting to Facebook and YouTube, and any other information you believe would help us make a decision. Include a statement of your availability on Sundays between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. ET.
- Send these as attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are selected, you must provide proof via documentation of your ability to be employed under New York State and United States law, including legally required identification.
The Riverdale-Yonkers Society for Ethical Culture is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity including transgender status, sexual orientation, age, disability, or marital status.