From our friends at CSAIR:
Volunteers from Conservative Synagogue Adath Israel of Riverdale (CSAIR) are spearheading an effort to gather food donations for direct distribution to people in our community who don’t have enough to eat. We are guided by this thought from Cezar Chavez, “The people who give you their food give you their heart.”
We would be grateful for all community members to join this effort by donating any fresh food you can set aside for this purpose. Our volunteers will transport it directly to our neighborhood Friendly Fridges. The Friendly Fridges are staffed by volunteer groups that provide free food directly to those who are facing food insecurity.
Please see this New York Times article about this successful grass-roots effort: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/nyregion/free-food-fridge-nyc.html
When: Sunday, July 11, 10-11:30 AM and July 14, 6:30-7:30 PM
Where: CSAIR (247 West 250th Street off Henry Hudson Parkway East) – under the canopy
All donations are gratefully accepted, but here are frequently requested items for donation:
- Rice or beans of all kinds in 1 lb. bags
- Small bottles of cooking oil
- Produce – especially peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, spinach, radishes, cilantro, kale
- Easily portable fruit – especially oranges, bananas, apples, berries, mangoes
- Proteins like tuna and peanut butter
- Shelf stable items like pasta, sauces
- Almost anything else one needs to feed a family.
For more information, please contact Robin Weinstein. If you do not have her email address, send your inquiry to email@example.com and we’ll forward it.