4450 Fieldston Road
On the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend, our colloquy will focus on “transforming grief.” How do grief, sorrow, and mourning transform our lives? What is the value in those emotions, those processes? How do we create memorials to remember the losses and create or discover meaning?
Whether we’re talking about personal loss or larger social losses, memorials are one way we as human beings try to make meaning from those losses.
Our Leader, Jone Johnson Lewis, will guide the colloquy. This is a format where we listen deeply to each other, without offering advice, debate, or argument, and where the wisdom of each is welcomed. Come join us in pondering the how grief transforms our lives, and how we can create meaningful memorials.
11 a.m. is gathering time, to meet and greet one another. We start the formal program at 11:15 and usually end about 12:30. After that, we have a time of informal conversation.
Our Ethics Matters theme for May is Thresholds: the practice of stepping into the unknown with courage, of bravely leaving behind what no longer serves us well.
How to Participate
Due to COVID-19 precautions, all sessions are via Zoom. You can participate via video if you have an Android or iOS (iPhone, iPad) device, or a Windows or Mac computer, and an internet connection. If you don’t have one of those, you can call on the telephone and hear and be heard.
On Android, iOS, Windows, Mac
- Click on this link to join the Zoom Meeting or start your app and enter the Meeting ID: 718 548 4445
- First time: Download Zoom Mobile Apps for iPhone or Android / Download Zoom Client for Meetings
- Video: We can see you if you have a camera in your phone or laptop and have it turned on. If you’re using a phone, the experience is better if you turn your phone horizontally and place it on some books or other surface to point it at your face. If you get a message that your internet connection is unstable, you may want to try STOP VIDEO. Also stop video, please, if there is distracting activity at your location.
- Sound: If you’re using a desktop or laptop, after you log in, you can choose your computer microphone or the option of using your phone for sound (phone audio). Click the arrow next to the microphone (“Mute”) at the bottom of your screen if you aren’t automatically offered the choice.
- If you choose phone audio, phone numbers will be offered, along with the Meeting and Participant IDs you will be prompted to enter after you make the call.
- If you’re using computer audio, be sure your microphone is plugged in, turned on, and selected, if it is not automatically on.
On Telephone Only
- Dial a number from the list below and, when prompted, enter Meeting ID: 718 548 4445
- You’ll be asked to identify yourself, so we know who is participating.
- Suggested call-in numbers:
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
- For other locations, find your number here: https://zoom.us/u/abfkzcdS8S
We look forward to seeing you!
- Download Zoom Mobile Apps for iPhone or Android / Download Zoom Client for Meetings
- Download: How to Join a Zoom Meeting (video: smartphone, tablet, computer)