Ethics for Kids
Sundays 10:30-11:30 am
Ages 4 and up
All Are Welcome!
Ethics for Kids provides a fun learning environment for kids to explore topics that foster empathy, respect, and a deeper understanding of self and others. Our programs feature creative play, social justice projects, stories, discussion, art activities and more. We encourage an appreciation of diversity, a sense of social responsibility towards people and the environment, and an underlying framework of ethical values. Our kids learn how to navigate their lives by thinking for themselves, empathizing with others, and acting responsibly to create a better world.
My son goes to religious school, but he also goes to Ethics for Kids to learn how to be a better person.
Some key learning areas include:
- Ethical Decision-Making – Making ethical choices through the development of integrity, compassion, fairness/justice, responsibility and honesty.
- Social, Emotional and Leadership Skills – Affirming the worth and uniqueness of each individual; Standing up for others and ourselves with assertiveness and consideration; Conflict resolution and dealing with unpleasantness.
- Ethical Action / Social Justice – Understanding the importance of social justice and human rights; Exploring the opportunities and challenges for helping others and our world.
- Diversity and World Views – Exploring who else lives in the world, what their lives are like, what they
believe, and how we are alike and different from people all over the world; The complexities of prejudice and stereotypes.
- Being Part of the Natural World – Understanding that we are all deeply interconnected with other people and the earth; Observing the natural world and learning about how to protect and preserve it.
- Ethical Culture & Humanism – Understanding (without pressure to adopt or conform to such ideas) the ideas and history of Ethical Culture and the broader humanist movement, rooted in commitment to individual human worth, the importance of action, and the value of human community.
Things to know about Ethics for Children:
- We’re open most Sundays, so drop in and join us! The more your child attends, the stronger their relationships will be with other kids and our teachers, and the more they will get out of our program.
- Ethics for Children is in-person, 10:30-11:30 am with supervised play until noon, and requires in-person registration. If we need to make last-minute changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will email you via whatever email we have on record or that you use for the RSVP below.
- Parents are welcome to stay and observe/participate or join our program for adults upstairs.
- Our teachers are some of our wonderful parents and care givers who are educators in their professional life. Our teachers rotate throughout the year.
- Our regular attendees are ages 3-12. Let us know if you have a child outside that age range; we may have plans to expand to that age.
- We plan soon to resume child care for children under 3 years old. Your little ones can play with other babies and toddlers their age while their grownups enjoy the Platform meeting in the main Meeting Room.
- A few times per year, we have multigenerational festivals (Stone Salad, Winter Festival, Spring Festival, etc.). Festivals are for all ages and are in place of our regular Sunday schedule (Platform program for adults and Ethics for Children).
- Ethics for Children is a FREE program! We welcome donations to support our expenses.