4450 Fieldston Rd
Bronx, NY 10471
You’ve heard of the story of Stone Soup? If not, you’ll hear it this week. Our modernized version is called Stone Salad. We’ll celebrate generosity together through a family-friendly pot luck and festival.
Bring some food to share. Bring containers to take some home in case we have more than we need. There’s no need to make a salad at home, it will “magically” be put together before our very eyes. One bowl of salad will be assembled with no dairy or other animal products, no wheat or gluten products and no nuts, for vegans and those with allergies and sensitivities. All food should be ready-to-eat with no further preparation other than adding it to the bowl or table.
*Also, please bring canned goods and other non-perishable food items to “donate” during our Stone Salad story. We will donate all food items to the Kingsbridge-Riverdale-Marble Hill Food & Hunger Project.
11 a.m. is gathering time, to meet and greet one another and make preparations together. We start the formal program at 11:15. This Sunday, we’ll have a shared meal together, and end about 1 p.m.
What to Bring?
Below are the items you’ll be bringing, based on the first letter of your last name. If there are two last names in your family, pick the first one.
- A-G – salad greens* and bread for 6-8 people; non-perishable food items to donate
- H-L – salad addition** and something to drink for 6-8 people; non-perishable food items to donate
- M-R – salad addition** and dessert for 6-8 people; non-perishable food items to donate
- S-Z – salad greens* and salad dressing for 6-8 people; non-perishable food items to donate
What to Do When You Arrive?
Salad dressing, bread, drinks and dessert can be put on the serving tables when you arrive. Keep your salad greens and salad additions with you in platform as we’ll assemble the salads together as part of the program.
* salad greens: washed and cut/torn into bite-sized pieces of lettuce or other salad greens — make sure that the greens are ready to go right into the salad bowl without further prep.
** salad addition: anything but meat that you’d add to a salad — for example, shredded carrots, sliced bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, garbanzo beans, a few chopped hard-boiled eggs, shredded or cubed cheese, croutons, or your favorites (artichokes? zucchini?) … make sure that the items are cut, if appropriate, and ready to go right into a salad without further prep. No meat on this day, please.