A Child’s Encounter With Wonder and Awe
Sundays, 11am-12:30pm, July 9 – August 27
8 sessions; attend any and all sessions
No registration required
Suggested donation per family: $10-$50 per session
(You will not be turned away if you are unable to pay)
This eight-session program guides children to embrace simultaneously the awesome truth of a miracle’s mystery and the “how and why” of rational explanation. Stories, discussions, and hands-on activities engage children to discern miracles, experience and express awe and wonder, and discover their own agency for miracle-making.
- Defining the word “miracle” / finding examples of “miracles” in our own lives
- Comparing different creation stories with the Big Bang Theory
- Exploring physical transformations with the states of matter: solids liquids, gas
- Observing elements in nature “up close” with awe and wonder
- Exploring inner transformations or “changes of heart.” What moves a person from greed to generosity? Indifference to caring?
- Investigating tree rings: taking care of the Earth & learning about climate change
- Exploring “miraculous” natural phenomena we cannot yet explain
Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child—our own two eyes. All is a miracle.
— Thich Nhat Hanh